Yotam Ottolenghi presents Ottolenghi’s Mediterranean Feast a new 4 part tv series on More 4 on Monday nights for four weeks.
Mediterranean Feast is being shown again, starting on Channel 4 beginning 24 February 2013 at 7.00pm. Next episode 2 featuring Istanbul airs on 3 March 2013.
This captivating series visits, Morocco, Istanbul, Tunisia and Israel. Istanbul is amazing, but then so are all the countries visited by Yotam. The exquisite food, spices and flavours – amazing vegetables, so healthy and delicious.
To read about Yotam’s new cookbook, see Jerusalem.
Ottolenghi’s travels included:
Series 1 Episode 1 Morocco
1/4. Yotam’s journey starts in Morocco’s most vibrant city, Marrakech, where he discovers the secrets of the tagine and explores the delicious street food and dines at Jemaa El Fna square. Then he returns to his rooftop kitchen to create barbecued leg of lamb with almonds and an orange blossom sauce.
- Sweet pastry cigars with almond and cinnamon filling
- Barbecued leg of lamb with almonds
- Grilled sea bass with chermoula marinade
- See channel 4 for episode 1 information Morocco
- Read Yotam’s scrapbook of recipes
To read reviews of Yotam’s new cookbook, see Jerusalem and for Yotam’s previous vegetarian cookbook Plenty – Yotam Ottolenghi A vegetarian cookbook also his first book Ottolenghi: The Cookbook (all UK editions)
In Canada read more: Jerusalem: A Cookbook, Plenty: Vibrant Vegetable Recipes From London’s Ottolenghi and Ottolenghi: The Cookbook
Series 1 Episode 2 Istanbul Repeats 3 March 2013 at 7.00pm Ch4
2/4. Chef Yotam Ottolenghi’s culinary journey next port of call is the amazing and vibrant Istanbul. Common practice is to fish from the Galata bridge – so Yotam tastes fish from the waters of the Bosphorus, shops for vegetables and samples street food.
The recipes he is inspired to create include: Turkish pizza topped with spicy beef, pine nuts and a crunchy salad baked in a traditional stone oven, and a casserole bursting with prawns, squid, tomatoes and cheese.
Yotam’s latest book with Sami Tamimi – is called Jerusalem and explores the food of the city of Jerusalem. Yotam and Sami’s food is based on a shared home city of Jerusalem. Both were born there in the same year, Sami on the Arab east side and Yotam in the Jewish west. Nearly 30 years later they met in London, and discovered they shared a language, a history, and a love of great food.
- Yotam’s recipes
- Lahmacun with spicy minced beef and salad topping
- Baked seafood with tomatoes and Turkish cheese
- Braised artichokes with freekeh grains and herbs
- Turkish style vegetables with yoghurt and green chilli oil
- Cinnamon rice pudding with cherry compote and pistachios
- Baklava factory
- Foodie restaurant Ciya Sofrasi
- Fish restaurant Lokanta Maya
- Restaurant Mavi Balik
- Ovens Datli Maya
Series 1 Episode 3 Tunisia Repeats 10 March 2013 at 7.00pm Ch4
3/4. A visit to the enigmatic and amazing Tunisia, which is one of North Africa’s most popular holiday destinations. Our intrepid chef, Yotam seeks out fish, eats foods that include the local fiery harissa paste, and tastes spicy merguez sausages.
So what about a hermit who runs a restaurant? We see the idyllic scene as Yotam visits this unusual out door restaurant with a view.
See scrapbook for the recipes which include:
- a red mullet platter with a lemon and celery salad and
- a seafood pasta dish using fresh mussels, squid and luscious prawns,
- brik – a fried pastry snack containing soft egg and tuna, mackerel salad with olives, green beans and turmeric croutons,
- grilled peaches, juicy apricots and ripe figs, coated in scented yoghurt
Yotam helps cook chicken and sweet corn meatballs, served with a tangy lemon salsa at a Jewish restaurant serving Tunisian food.
Recipes and links:
- Yotam’s Tunisia recipes
- Grilled red mullet with lemon and celery salad
- seafood pasta dish using fresh mussels
- squid and luscious prawns
- brik – soft egg and tuna, mackerel salad with olives, green beans and turmeric croutons
- Grilled peaches, apricots and figs with scented yoghurt
Series 1 Episode 4 Israel Repeats 17 March 2013 at 7.00pm Ch4
4/4 The final fourth episode is Israel, Ottolenghi’s Mediterranean Feast – read more
Back to his home,Yotam visits Israel. First stop is Tel Aviv, where seafood, hummus and shakshuka are explored.
Shakshka is where eggs are gently poached in a spicy sauce of tomatoes, onion and hot chili peppers. Wow!
Tel Aviv is a bright and busy city with a superb coastal location, Yotam visits the morning fish market and then serves up grilled fish-cakes with a creamy beetroot and horseradish relish.
Pomegranates, olives are amongst Israel’s abundant fruit and vegetables, full of health and life giving nutrients. Yotam journeys to a farm to pick pomegranate and makes a tomato and pomegranate salad with pomegranate molasses and a fragrant garlic dressing.
Yotam goes back to basics to forage for ingredients in the hills of Jerusalem then returns to Tel Aviv to cook apple and sage pancakes and prepare an Israeli-style pizza made with Jerusalem cheese, herbs and fresh tomatoes.
- How to make chicken shawarma
- Fig and goat’s cheese tart
- Beef shakshuka with smoked aubergine
- Tomato and pomegranate salad
- Herb and ginger fish cakes
Jerusalem captures the cuisine of the wondrous city of David – Jerusalem – read about the new book in this article.
All three of Yotam Ottolenghi’s cookbooks