The Hairy Dieters – How to Love Food and Lose Weight – REPEATED on BBC1 Wed 2 Jan and Thurs 3 Jan 2013
OK So after an enjoyable set of TV episodes -what is in the book and what are typical recipes? I really think this is a brave thing for the Bikers to do and a very good programme series. What strikes me is when Si and Dave are told about what their extra weight is doing to them. They are startled by the revelations of the Doctor and dietician. How overwieght they are, how much fat they carry and what this means for their health and longevity. A reality check for them, it leads me to ask – what about me?
To read additional reviews of the new cook book and best buy offers see, The Hairy Dieters: How to Love Food and Lose Weight and for Kindle versions see The Hairy Dieters: How to Love Food and Lose Weight Kindle download edition.
So here follows a summary of the contents of the book:
Dave Myers and Si King have been very clever in approaching this issue and from their perspective and for their health’s sake, it is vital they change their diet and loose weight.
But the guiding principle is to still maintain their love of food. Retain flavour and texture, but reduce the calories. Not hard to do for one or two meals, but difficult to re-adjust to a life time of proper eating – it takes will power. As we eat more we seem to need more!
Book Contents: the new book has sections on each of:
- Breakfasts, Brunch
- One-pan dishes
- lunch boxes
So based on altering our meal content to reduce the total calories there is plenty of scope for us to amend any one of our meals. Nice ideas on how to replace ‘heavy’ i.e. calorific high ingredients with alternatives helps. Taste and texture do not suffer!
The guys give us a guide as to how to begin and advice on how to go about this change in eating that will help reduce weight and lower the intake of calories.
What about cranberry and almond muesli for breakfast? Or fruit compote with granola?
A lot of the changes require us to take control of what goes into our food and we will need to make some of these items from the basic ingredients. It will be a little more time consuming, but like everything in life it will be worth the extra effort.
Hard lesson: We take responsibility for our own relationship with food and realise what needs to be done before it is too late. We see the health dangers in others and we can try and change now – even if only in a small way.
So how about golden vegetable soup or salmon with ginger chilli sauce?
Some recipes include:
- Toasted crumpet berries yoghurt and honey
- Skinny lemon cupcakes with drizzly icing
- Olly’s sham-pagne
- Low-fat minced beef and potato pies
- Baked haddock spinach and egg pots
- Our special cassoulet
- Masala-marinated chicken with minted yoghurt sauce
- Pan-fried bacon with poached egg and balsamic tomatoes
- Tuna Niçoise wrap
- Ministrone soup
- Golden vegetable soup
- Mushroom feta and tomato baked peppers
- lemony lamb kebabs and fruity rice salad
- Gammon with parsley sauce
- Lemon and thyme roast chicken
- Chicken and Ham Tangle Pie
- Skinny beef lasange
- Paprika chicken
- Cumin-crusted vegetables
- Basic mixed salad
- Rich and meaty bolognese
- Moist carrot and sultana cake
- Summer fruit meringues
- Lean Lamb Hotpot
- Chilli Con Carne
- Minted Pea and Feta Omelette
- Topless Cheese and Pickle Sandwich
- A very English Topless Sandwich
- Topless Mackerel Pate and Watercress Sandwich
- Topless Chicken and Parma Ham Sandwich
- Spicy Bean and Vegetable Stew
- Skinny Lemon Cupcakes with Drizzly Icing
- Plum Rice Pudding
- Mediterranean Beef Burgers
- Chicken Korma
- Chicken Caesar Salad
- Pan-Fried Bacon with Poached Egg and Balsamic Tomatoes
- Skinny beef lasange
- Lemony lamb kebabs
- Hairy Dieter’s recipes at BBC Food
- Cookware for the ultimate kitchen
Overall a good and encouraging book, that tackles a difficult topic amongst us all. There is a sensitive spot in each one when it comes to what we eat and our weight, even our appearance. But there are benefits to be had by eating good but low fat – low calorie food. What about a longer and healthier life – for a start? Feeling better each day, better relationships….
Si and Dave are to be commended for taking on what should be counter to their thinking as cooks?
- Hairy Dieters Bikers Program 4 How to love food and lose weight BBC2 TV
- Hairy Dieters Bikers Program 3 How to love food and lose weight BBC2 TV
- Hairy Dieters Bikers review Program Two How to love food and lose weight BBC2 tv
- Hairy Dieters Program One How to love food BBC2 tv
- The Hairy Dieters – How To Love Food And Lose Weight TV show BBC2 and new cookbook
The Hairy Dieters How to love food paperback ….
Remember the new Hairy Bikers Mississippi adventure!!
- Hairy Bikers Mississippi Adventure Jazz New Orleans 16 Sept 2012
- The Hairy Bikers Larger Than Life Tour Autumn 2012
- Hairy Bikers in America’s South
- Big Book of Baking The Hairy Bikers
- Hairy Bikers’ Best of British BBC2 November 2011
- Due Feb 2013: The Hairy Bikers’ Great Curries cook book
Highly recommended…for good lean food… I like this book very much….